Upgrading to LEAF 3.9+, Database error on startup

:leaves: LEAF version:
3.8
:jigsaw: LEAF component(s):

Issue/Question:
Hello. We are upgrading our project services from LEAF version 3.8 to 3.9. Our services are java based and run against a postgres database. Upon startup I receive the following database error:
statup-error

From the release notes, I see a new field metadata type was created called GeoStyleFieldMetadata. However I have not found what needs to be done done for LEAF to successfully make the necessary database modifications. As a workaround the database can be manually modified via script, but I was thinking there should be a simpler way for LEAF to handle new field metadata. Any ideas on if that is the case would be helpful. Thanks!

Do you know what your hibernate’s DDL setting is:

hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto

If it’s update, we should be creating new tables for FieldMetadata for you. If it’s validate or even create, you’re going to need your DBA to make the changes for you.

In a local environment, I’d suggest using your old version (3.8 of LEAF) to start with create turned on. Then upgrade (to 3.9 of LEAF) and redeploy to the same Postgres with the DDL setting set to update and hibernate.show_sql set to true. Then you can get the SQL from the logs to create the missing tables or alter existing ones for the Geospatial FieldMetadata and provide that to the DBA to review and apply.

It is validate. We will proceed with the database script option. Thanks for confirming Mark!