Leafctl portable install - relative tool links

Bottom line: Is there a way to have “leafctl install” make relative links instead of absolute links?

I’m attempting to make a self-contained, ready-to-run, build environment that can exist in any “environment” root folder (env) on a developer machine, accessed from a container, etc.

When I run “leafctl install…” I specify a specific install path and share path. I put both “opt” and “bin” directories under one “relocatable” environment directory (env):
install: /opt
share: /bin

Leafctl make the appropriate links from bin to opt. However the links are absolute. If I copy or move this “environment” folder, the links from bin will still point to the original absolute location.

I wrote a “relativize” script that fixes the links, but it would be nice if I didn’t have to run a separate script.

Would it be possible to add an option to use relative links?
instead of:
bin/istioctl → /home/dray…/env/opt/istio/bin/istioctl

it would be:
bin/istioctl → …/opt/istio/bin/istioctl

Thanks.
Dan Ray

I made a ticket for this.
https://tasks.leidos-leaf.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/9/LEAF-574

1 Like