Custom FieldMetadata Error in when not used in ListingView definition

I have a custom field metadata in my bean metadata definition. I have defined a listingsview without referencing that custom column. When I try to render the data, I get the following error:
Error: No function exists for FieldMetadata propName. But the documentation states that " This should be done for all of the FieldMetadata on the BeanMetadata used to display data in the table". In my case, I am not referring to the custom field in the listingsview.json file. Why is it still flagging as error?

The current implementation of the DataObjectTable calculates column definitions for all FieldMetadata of the provided BeanMetadata. And then the ListingView is used to pull out the column definitions that will be used. So even though your ListingView does not have the property that the ColumnFilterFactory is complaining about it is still being calculated for the column definitions

I think you bring up a good point that the DataObjectTable should generate the column definitions lazily. Please feel free to make a feature request here

Thank you Caleb. Can you explain the meaning of “calculates column definitions”?

Columns are rendered based on column definitions. See ag-grid docs

The DataObjectTable takes the liberty of creating default column definitions for you based on FieldMetadata. Order is then determined by your ListingView